November 5, 2008

This Might Be A Little Too Awesome

[I might have gotten a little carried away. Pathos abounds. I'm just excited. I'm sorry. I also spoke for an imaginary 'us' as if I am somehow the spokesperson of the non-U.S. (or at least the European)-world. Maybe I should be, but alas, I am not. I didn't want to be presumptuous. My sincere apologies roughly 6.4 billion people. Haha.]

I wonder whether most Americans, regardless of which candidate they supported during the long '08 campaign, have any idea about this. How great this feels. How excited the rest of the world is.


Americans as a whole are pretty self-confident already. Greatest nation, city upon a hill, and all that. I feel bad that I have to inflate the American ego even more, but here it comes: You do matter a lot to the rest of us. We do care about you and your actions. Your economic policies, your foreign policy, your opinions on issues like gun control, death penalty, abortion. - We might not agree or even violently oppose them. Still, we listen to what you have to say and we are watching you closely.

You are like a friend and lover to us. A slightly over-confident friend we admire, yet observe warily sometimes. We never really know what you are up to. We hope it is another great adventure we can participate in. We sometimes fear you might get yourself and us into major trouble.
We always admire you though. The ideals you stand for. The confident way you carry yourself. The unwavering faith you have in your own strength. You might even say we love you. And we want you to love us, too.


Right now, it feels like our long-term affair, an often painful relationship after all, is reignited. We're on fire. YOU'RE on fire. You did it. You elected a politician we've had a crush on for months. We feel the potential for great romance. An epic love story. We don't know what the next four years will bring, but we're excited. And hopeful. And full of anticipation of things to come.

There is lingering doubt that this might sound too good to be true. Great enthusiasm and hope bear tremendous potential for crushing disappointment and despair.
We're ready though. Ready to take risks. Ready to go out on a limb. Ready to trust you.

America. Obama. You make us want to be a better friend.

7 comments:

EvanAlexander said...

A friend forwarded this blog to me. Well spoken! And I think that I speak for many of us here in the US when I say that our hopes are high and the jubilation runs deep. Never have I witnesses such celebration over an elected candidate as I witnessed in the streets of Portland, OR last night. We were ready for a change, and thank goodness that we've got one. Many of us were confounded at the results of the last election and were, therefore, very anxious that this one might turn out just as disasterously disappointing. What a relief to have some confidence in this country restored.

schmoe said...

Lara, this is awesome. Thanks for sharing your perspective. It feels a little unreal for some of us too. My wife and I were at a street party last night in West Philadelphia and it is already one my favorite memories ever.

Kirk said...

Great to hear! We saw the love in Berlin--but we finally made the right decision and am happy to hear the Brits are on board as well.

Anonymous said...

One of the biggest reasons I'm glad Obama won is what he represents outside our borders.

Let's face it, the world is becoming a smaller place almost before our eyes, and we need a leader that is cognizant of the idea that it is ultimately self-defeating to dig deep trenches between our country and the rest of the world and act as a rogue.

America is a world leader, and should act that way. Leaders are only effective if they are respected however, and maybe now we can go back to getting some of that back.

soleslide said...

I have my fingers crossed. I hope the promise of what this means this upheld. But I am more than a little bit fearful too because the world didn't become a better place overnight and there are many who have a vested interest in making sure this fails. Fingers crossed, and deep breathing.

LRC said...

Beautifully stated.

cmmoore said...

Thanks, Lara. Love from our neighbors is what we need right now. I truly hope that there is promise in our future with President Obama.