December 9, 2008

Mythical Creatures

I am not kidding about this. The Dutch are only part human. My guess is 50%. The other half is bicycle.

The Dutch are so ridiculously comfortable and secure on their bikes; and they assume everybody else is, too. Doesn't bother me as much as it cracks me up.
If you ride your bike during rush hour, you better be prepared to go with the flow...Cyclists are going fast and biking with a purpose. Some of my colleagues find it a little dangerous to venture out during 'peak biking times'...


But the Dutch don't just go fast, they multi-task on their bikes: I've seen people on bikes talking on their cell phone, eating frites (French fries) and smoking.
No big deal, you say? They do it all at the same time! Haha. Yes, I am exaggerating a little...
Taking the cake so far: A young woman with a big textbook propped up between the handlebars, studying while biking. Now that's too much even for my taste...Sheesh.


At any rate, here are some pictures from the land of bikes:


Bike 'parking' at Den Haag Central Station.

Yes, they have guarded, underground bike parking. Awesome.


Additional info: After I typed this up, I has a smallish bike accident on my way home. Too much bike-craziness apparently. Two dudes overtaking two other dudes on a two-lane-bikepath. In the dark. Going too fast.
I was able to brake and avoid the first biker. Second one, not so much. Found myself sitting on the ground. Boo. We were both fine, and he seemed a lot more shaken up than me. Dumbass. Your mistake and I couldn't even yell at you because you were so shocked. Great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what are you? trying to break my record of time between updating your blog? Anyway, mine is back with a new name and my 2009 race/training schedule and lots of pics.
http://boozerunningbrazil.blogspot.com/

terminal blocks said...

nice site