March 14, 2008

Common Courtesy

So while I'm on this testy bitching-binge, might as well write about this:

Whatever happened to common fucking courtesy?
When did it go out of style to hold the door open for the next person, say 'please' and 'thank' you and just generally be a pleasant person to be around?
Yea, beats me, too.

Quite a few people have asked me how I can always be so friendly and nice to people who come to my office (Yes, I know. You wouldn't necessarily be able to tell that I am a nice person from today's entries... Just venting...).
Why? Because it's part of my job to be welcoming and helpful. And because I try to be a positive in people's lives. It feels good to help others and give them a smile or make them giggle. No kidding.

Well, for all the people who annoy me with their non-social and non-friendly behavior. Just a few hints:
  • You come to my office and ask for a favor? -- Say 'hello' first, freaks!
  • Your food explodes in the microwave? -- Clean the mess up.
  • You use the last bit of toilet paper? -- Put a new roll in the thingy.
  • You drink the last drop of water from the water cooler? -- Put a new container in. Oh, and if you're too weak to do it: Tell me. I'll help you out.
I realize this type of stuff is the same in every office and everybody complains about it. Nothing new or terribly exciting.

I just don't understand what is so hard about these small tasks and gestures. Being courteous makes living/dealing with other humans so much more bearable.

So please: Be nice, for fuck's sake.

Oh, to add a positive twist: I get fresh flowers for my office every week. Nice, huh?
Thank you, work, I really appreciate it.
Hehe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just noticed that I mistakenly entered the comment that I intended to make here under your previous post ("Man Up, Bitches").

My apologies.

So here goes the comment - again:

Your rant made me think of this cartoon:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/mpberner/Cartoons/photo?authkey=FT1UJ2uKGns#5192105288026608594

I love Rattelschneck's cartoons even though I find only about every fifth of them funny; but the ones I do find funny (such as this one) are hilarious and definitely worth the wait!