March 7, 2008

Flame Wars and Internet Cowardice

So I'm somewhat addicted...ah, feck it...I AM addicted to these internet message boards and spend way too much time on there (Mostly during work hours, I'm ashamed to admit.). People are supposedly posting because they are all united by a love for running. Hmm. Yea. Maybe.

It's actually a surprisingly fun place to spend some virtual time at. People of different ages, gender, location, political preference, religion, etc. etc. hang out and post. There are: a daily "coffee thread"; threads dedicated to certain types of music; wordy political statements; game threads;...It's a pretty eclectic little world...And yes, you can also find race reports and the occasional running-related question or discussion.

So, like I said, I spend a lot of time on there, reading what others have to say and giving my own opinion.
I know what drew me to those boards in the first place (I was interested in running. Duh.). I'm not sure though what made me stay...and come back for more and more for over a year and a half now...

A few guesses and observations...
a. The message board (well, quite a few of the 'sub'-boards are like that) is a weird and very tight-knit little world of its own. It's hard to describe to people who don't frequent message boards (And you better not try to explain...They will just think you're a freak. Haha).
There are a bunch of very vocal and visible 'forum personalities'. They are completely out there with their opinions and stories.
I know about more about the sex-life of one female forumite than I care to know, really. Well, her alleged sex-life. Because that's the kicker: Who knows who's sitting behind that keyboard somewhere in Arizona (And is that where she really is? Hehe.).
Guess my point is that this message board is a place where people can reveal as much or as little as they care to reveal; a place where you can be completely yourself or be somebody completely different.
I am amazed at how much real information some people post. Some use their own name or have their picture as their avatar. Some often post pictures of themselves or of their kids.
Others reveal close to nothing and therefore have a huge anonymity benefit: They can sprout off their opinions and criticisms; no holds barred. They have never given a piece of themselves , never made themselves vulnerable...

b. Which brings me to my second observation: Some people are real assholes on the board. I'm no stranger to the occasional flippant comment or cynical remark, but some of the posters are just plain mean and hurtful.
Why? What kind of satisfaction could you possibly get out of putting other people down? In a virtual world nonetheless? Commenting negatively on their picture (and perceived imperfections) or condemning their political views/religion serves no purpose, in my opinion.
So I've been wondering: Are the posters (who are quick with a harsh smack-down and offensive comment) just internet-cowards? Or are they the same in real life?
And what about the people who let 'rude internet behavior' happen, i.e. don't comment and never call the bully on their lack of courtesy? Are they cowards, too?

Hmm. Guess I've been pissed off about a thing or two on the boards lately...

c. Oh, and it's not that I mind a heated argument or discussion. I actually enjoy those. In person and on the boards. They are usually fun to read; even if they degenerate a little bit sometimes. The flame-wars on the boards are certainly entertaining; unless they turn into name-calling. Oh well.

d. Good grief, I do not only spend too much time on the boards, I apparently also spend too much time thinking about them. Doh!

Enough for now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just don't understand why bloggers would put so much of themselves out there for the world to read, often using their own pictures on their blog.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!